Saturday, November 6, 2021

Proxemics Pre-COVID and Post-COVID

    

    Proxemics are the physical boundaries humans set from each other. There are boundaries that are appropriate for each person in our lives, for example, our loved ones will always be able to get closer than a stranger at a bar. Whenever you're on the subway, you are made to be face to face with strangers because you're only means of transportation but no one thought twice about a virus before the pandemic. They were just trying to get to where they're going. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/subway-cars-running-capacity-rush-hours-article-1.2161455

    In a pre-COVID world, our boundaries had standardly been a little closer. I know I didn't mind passing a stranger on the street on a tight sidewalk. In a post-COVID world, not only are there less people to pass on the sidewalk, but I go lengths to not breath that person's air. It has created a conscious boundary between people. I have also found myself being extra cautious due to having a baby this year. I don't want her to get sick because I was being careless. It's even had me be a little more further away from my family because no one ever knows who is carrying this virus. 

    It's interesting to see how people react to fresh babies as well. In my experience, most people are not afraid to approach someone with a baby. They aren't afraid to turn around in the store to see the baby lying in the stroller. I have had to step away from people from getting in my baby's face because they fascination has made them delirious to the fact that we are in a pandemic. I don't think people should ever get that close to a stranger's baby pre-COVID, but especially now. 

https://depositphotos.com/stock-photos/strangers.html

    It's created an extra bubble around people. Personally, as someone who has become more introverted with time, I prefer the new standard and I know a lot of people who relate to that. I don't like when people are breathing down my neck at the grocery store and now, most people do not. A lot more people have enjoyed working from home. A lot of jobs have moved to that because they've always had the ability to do so. It has also had the same change with school. From personal examination, I've noticed a huge difference in health because of it. Not only has it helped people avoid getting COVID-19, but the flu and the common cold as well. 

    I am a huge fan of distance so I enjoy the new distances we have taken in a current- and post-pandemic world. 

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with people not paying attention to viruses until the pandemic, it is crazy how even with this going on people still want to intrude on people's personal space. I can't stand when people are breathing down my neck and I am glad that it doesn't happen as much to people. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that my boundaries are a little bigger than they used to be now that COVID is in the picture. I have also become more introverted over the pandemic and don't like when people get even remotely close to me now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe your perspective on this entire ordeal is particulary scary due to having a baby, which brings on new challanges and (quite literal) bounderies. Great info and explanation in the post.

    ReplyDelete